Join the Board
Prospective Board of Directors Member Standards & Expectations
- Be a member in good standing of NAMI Greater Orlando.
- Attend all Board and committee meetings and functions, such as special events.
- Be informed about the organization’s mission, services, policies and programs.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings.
- Serve on committees or task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Make a personal financial contribution to the organization (“give or get” principle).
- Inform others about the organization.
- Suggest possible nominees to the Board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and the organization.
- Keep up-to-date on developments in the organization’s field.
- Follow conflict-of-interest and confidentiality policies.
- Refrain from making special requests of the staff.
- Assist the Board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities, such as reviewing the organization’s annual financial statements.
- Ability to listen, analyze, think clearly and creatively and work well with people individually and in a group.
- Willing to prepare for and attend Board and committee meetings, ask questions, take responsibility and follow through on a given assignment.
- Contribute personal and financial resources in a generous way according to circumstances; open doors in the community, evaluate oneself.
- Develop certain skills if you do not already possess them, such as to cultivate and solicit funds, cultivate and recruit board members and other volunteers, read and understand financial statements, learn more about the substantive program area of the organization.
- Possess honesty; sensitivity to and tolerance of differing views; a friendly, responsive and patient approach; community-building skills; personal integrity; a developed sense of values; concern for your nonprofit’s development; and a sense of humor.